Promised SGU Post and More!

So SGU this week:

I felt the episode started off in an odd place for SGU, but I got over those feelings pretty fast and started to really like it.  The return of the Daniel Jackson character (not a spoiler, it was in the commercial) was well done, and fit in with the story.  The plot moves beyond intellectual curiosity by the end, and the writers once again surprised me by not following the traditional pattern for the situation the characters find themselves in.  I guess I should be used to it by now and "expect the unexpected", but I really thought things were going to end on a different note than they did.

This episode is one of two (or more), so now I'm bouncing on my hands waiting for the next one and wishing I already had the DVD box set for this season.  Anyone got a TARDIS lying around?



In other news I had an inspiration yesterday and wrote most of the first chapter of the sequel to the book I just finished.  Yeah, I know, I should be working on finding a few readers for feedback and learning the query letter process, but the story just keeps coming so I've gotta get it down lest I forget the direction I'm taking this.

On the plus side, I can look for readers and work on book 2 simultaneously!


Ellie and I watched Ran last night.  It was Ellie's first time, and my 2nd or 3rd.  It'd been enough years since the last time I watched it that I didn't remember every plot twist so it was somewhat like a new movie for me as well.  Kurosawa Akira's work is always a pleasure to watch, and Ran is a particular delight because it's one of the few of Kurosawa's movies that is in full, vibrant color -the best the 80's had to offer!

For those of you who don't know, Ran is Kurosawa's take on Shakespeare's King Lear, which I confess is one of the handful of famous Shakespeare plays I'm unfamiliar with.  I do know that King Lear is a tragedy, and it follows that Ran is as well.  Actually, Ran is so much of a tragedy that by its end one is left feeling on the verge of depression.  It is well worth seeing despite the massive downer it will give you, and there are few movies as awesome to watch for samurai action.  It's a must see classic.

That's all for today.

Be well!

Comments

Popular Posts