Tron the Legacy Continues


Call it ignorance or just plain not paying attention, but I had no idea there was another Tron project ahead.


Not sure how I missed this one, but I'm somewhat glad to have caught it (thanks to Facebook and YouTube, where the video above comes from).

I am a huge fan of the first movie.  I can't say for sure if I saw it in the theater or not, but I know I was very young when I first laid eyes on it.  I have since seen the original movie several times, but despite this after seeing the sequel in 2010, I wasn't sure how to feel.

Tron Legacy didn't quite do it for me.  The explanations for what was going on were a bit thin, but I think it was the behavior of a certain masked character that really bugged me.  The turning point near the end just didn't make 100% sense either.  It felt sort of rushed and very "we're running out of film, quick, resolve it all!"  On the other hand, it was cool to see the updated visual effects...
(Hint to Hollywood: Just because your movie is pretty doesn't mean it's good).

This incarnation of the Tron universe is supposed to be the set up for Tron Legacy.  I'm not sure if I'm going to watch it.  I certainly don't feel the build up of expectation that I felt for Legacy, however, there have been times where I've been very pleasantly surprised by a cartoon or comic book version of something I expected to not be so great, e.g. the Star Wars: Old Republic comics were able to regain the "wow" factor that I think the latter movies (and the Clone Wars series -shudder-) lost.

I am a big Bruce Boxleitner fan (Tron , Babylon 5), and I'm happy to see his name attached to this project but I may wait and see what others say before spending time on this one.

Comments

Popular Posts