Science Fiction Movies of 2015 Part 2

Before I start in on the 2nd half of 2015, I have to go back and catch a few movies I missed in Part 1:

1-30
Project Almanac
Johnny Weston, Amy Landecker

Teenagers find daddy's time machine, go back, do all the stuff we'd love to do (win lotto, etc) and wind up wrecking everything because you can't do something huge like win the lottery without it changing the lives of everyone around you, and maybe the planet. Ripple effects, they are a real pain. So this one is kind of like Primer with the volume turned up for teens—or looks that way to me. It's also competing with The Phoenix Project, being another time-travel movie released in the same month. We'll see who wins.



4-10
Ex Machina
Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander

I regret missing this in part one. I thoroughly enjoyed The Machine, and this looks to be a film along similar lines. I may just have a thing for movies that explore the nature of sentience, humans, and AI, but these types of movies tend to get me as both a movie-lover and a science-lover. Hell, they tend to be just plain cool, too. With luck, this one will be as well.



And now... The second half of 2015!


6-12
Jurassic World
Chris Pratt, Judy Greer

I like Chris Pratt. I liked the original Jurassic Park (which I saw in... high school, in a theater on the Upper West Side of Manhattan with a "live" crowd, lots of oohs, and OH NO's and whatnot), but this reboot has me raising my eyebrow. It might be good, maybe. I'm just not sure it can recapture the witty magic of the first one (and it better, the others were blah to crap).



7-1
Terminator Genysis
Emelia Clarke, Jai Courtney, Arnold Schwarzenegger

I have to admit, when I heard there was going to be another Terminator movie, and Arnold was returning for it, I groaned—a lot. I loved the Sarah Connor Chronicles, was 'meh' about Terminator Salvation, but I was ready for another Terminator movie—without Arnold... And then I saw this trailer, and I am now looking forward to it. I know. Shocking, but see for yourself.



7-17
Ant Man
Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly

Ant-Man is one of those heroes I can't believe exists. I mean, even I can defeat things that size... I sort of want to believe that this is a test of the "Marvel Can't Fail" thing they had on SNL. No, I have no interest in seeing this, but don't let that stop you.



11-25
The Martian
Jessica Chaistain, Matt Damon

No trailer for this one yet. Ridley Scott directs. I wish he'd hurry up and make Prometheus 2, but maybe he's warming up to it. Also, Matt Damon in a space movie for the second year in a row, and he seems to be playing almost the same character. Hmm... interesting... maybe. I loved Matt Damon in Elysium, so we'll see about this one as the year goes on.


12-18
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Etc. (You know who they are already)

Star Wars is probably a big part of why I write sci-fi. I saw the very first one (A New Hope) in the theater (too young, I have no memory of it but apparently mama took me), and I've seen every one after that in the same way, and then about 100 more times at home... (Except the prequels, those I've watched less than 10 times). Not to say I don't love Star Wars anymore, I still do. Clone Wars and the Rebels series are awesome! (Yes, Disney did a great job with Rebels). But having said all that:

I'm going to be a little irreverent about this movie because though the visuals look great, JJ Abrams ruined an awesome villain for me in Star Trek Into Darkness, and now he's after my childhood favorite, so I'm worried... And that new lightsaber looks horrible (a guard on a lightsaber is about as useful as an empty oxygen tank at the bottom of the ocean). So yeah, I'm really worried. Still, I'll go see it...




And there you have it, for now. Did I miss something? Let me know in the comments.
The second half of 2015 looks a bit empty as far as sci-fi goes, but it may fill in as we get closer. Here's to hoping it does. Happy watching!

Comments

Popular Posts