THE REVIEW (Star Wars VII: As Spoiler Free as I can Make It)


Okay, although this review is free of plot points, twists, and details, it still discusses the movie, so if you haven't seen it and don't want to know ANYTHING, stop reading now.



I've seen Episode VII twice now, once in 3D and once in 2D, and my overall verdict can be summed up in one word:

Awesome.

I'd like you to note that I said "Awesome," but not "Perfect."
It's not a perfect movie, and it's not a perfect Star Wars movie, but it is a good one.
In the beginning I didn't really know where it was going. There is a lot of new material thrown at you and making sense of it isn't the easiest thing in the world (until your second viewing, at least), but just when you're wondering where all of this is going the action starts with what I'll call a nostalgia hook, and from there on in it's hang on to your seats!

This movie had me from that hook and didn't let go. Having grown up on Star Wars (legend has it I saw the first one in the theater when I was tiny), I'm particularly vulnerable to the nostalgia JJ Abrams relies on to get the audience into the film. Even if I wasn't, though, I think I still would have liked the movie. There is enough new stuff mixed with the old to make it interesting, and although Mr. Abrams' lack of originality does show (the plot is sort of a rehash), the awesome visuals (helped by a return to models instead of CGI), and the epic scale of the story are more than enough to make up for it.

I left the theater, both times, wishing Episode VIII was out already. If there's any mark that says a work of fiction is worth it, I believe it's the desire for more. Star Wars VII passes the test with flying colors. I plan to see it again within the next couple of weeks, this time in IMAX (giant IMAX). So, if you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for?

Comments

Popular Posts