Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies of 2016 Part 1

It's that time of year again. If you're a superhero fan, 2016 is going to be AMAZING both in terms of the films that are coming out, and in the variety you'll have to choose from. I'm not going to cover those movies in this list (though I have in the past). The hype around them is so big, you already know what's coming out (Deadpool, Batman v. Superman with a twist of Wonder Woman, X-Men Apocalypse, Captain America: Civil War...) This list concentrates exclusively on science fiction.

Time to list the upcoming sci-fi movies (Part 1: January-June)!


January:

Synchronicity
Jim Beale, Brianne Davis, AJ Bowen

I'm fascinated by this film. Being advertised as "sci-fi noir," it's a time-travel movie done in the same vein as Primer, only with a much bigger budget and better special effects. As soon as I realized this I was hooked. The plot, from the trailer, appears to be: "Man invents time-travel, accidentally brings an alternate version of himself into the world, and encounters all kinds of problems." If it lives up to its promise, it'll be a deep-thought mind-bender that will get me thinking about the nature of reality. Also, Michael Ironside is in it (best character in the 1980's V).




The 5th Wave (1/22)
Chloƫ Grace Moretz, Nick Robinson, Maika Monroe

It looks to be another "aliens come and screw with the Earth despite having everything they could need up in space" movie. If you follow my blog, you know I hate this genre. It just makes no sense, unless the aliens are coming here specifically for humans, or something unique to Earth (which pretty much, in this solar system, is something alive.) I have no intention of sitting through this movie, though I give it credit in that the aliens seem like they win, at least at first—in truth the tech gap would be so wide it would be as though we invaded the stone age. In case this type of story is your thing, here's the trailer.


Terminus (1/22)
Jai Koutrae, Kendra Appleton, Tod Lasance

I am not sure what this movie is about, not even after watching the trailer and reading the blurb. That alone sort of intrigues me and annoys me at the same time. The story seems to be some kind of alien-something crash-lands in the US countryside and is found by desperate persons which it then bestows some kind of power to. There is a mention of a nuclear war, and then stuff happens...



Lazer Team (1/27)
Alan Ritchson, Irina Voronina, Colton Dunn

This movie looks completely ridiculous, but that can work for a comedy (or fail spectacularly). The plot seems to be a "what if Megaman left his stuff lying around and idiots found it." To be honest, if movies were cheaper I'd actually go see this, but seeing as though I shell out about $14 a ticket I'll wait for someone to tell me it's good first.





February:

----Nada----

March:

Divergent Series: Allegiant (3/18)
Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Naiomi Watts

I'm not a fan of the Divergent Series, and not for any particular reason. I got the first book and tried reading it. It just wasn't my thing. No big deal. No one is required to like everything, right? Enjoy the trailer.


April:

Ratchet and Clank (4/29)
James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, Jim Ward, tons of other more famous people...

I never played the game, I admit it. I just didn't notice it, I suppose, so I'm not particularly attached to this movie. I'd guess that if you're a fan of the game you'll love it. The animation looks good, and I did chuckle once during the trailer, but I am a little suspect of animated films that aren't a Pixar production, or don't involve little Twinkie-like people. Call it a bias if you will...


May:

----Nada (but lots of superhero stuff)----

June:

Independence Day Resurgence (6/24)
Joey King, Liam Hemsworth, Jeff Goldbloom

I literally cannot believe they made this movie. That aside, it's also an "aliens invade the Earth for no good reason... again" movie. Those two together say that I shouldn't see this film—but all of that aside, I kind of want to purely because the special effects do look kind of cool (I'm a sucker for glowing electric-blue stuff. Call it the Tron influence, if you will...) I also can't believe they aren't releasing this on 7/4... but whatever. Here's the trailer.


And that's it for now. Tune in next post for the 2nd half of 2016!
(And the stuff I'm sure you're waiting for.)

Comments

  1. It pays to be a senior. We only pay ten bucks for tickets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts