Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies of 2016 Part 2

Sorry for the delay on Part 2. I had some drama with my internet on Tuesday when I had scheduled writing this up, and then I had to go prepare for the potential snowmageddon we may or may not be getting. Now that those things are all done and over, I can finally get this out. All's well that ends well in the end, right?

Before I launch into the 2nd half of 2016, I'd like to add something to the previous list. At first I was hesitant, because I'm not sure if it falls into the sci-fi or hero-fantasy genre, but since I consider Starman (1984) to be sci-fi, I figure this really does need to be on this list:

Midnight Special (3/18)
Michael Shannon, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver



And it looks like I missed this one (or it got announced after I did the first post):

10 Cloverfield Lane (3/11)
John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Gallagher Jr.


JJ snuck this one in under the radar, apparently while everyone was asking him about Star Wars. It looks really good to me. I've read it's going to be a claustrophobic thriller that may or may not be a sequel to Cloverfield. I'm looking forward to it...


Here's the list for the second half of the year:

July:

Star Trek: Beyond
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg



I'm a little tired of watching the Enterprise blow up in movies. I'd like to see some more original quandaries for the crew, really... but I'll go see this anyway.


August:

---tumbleweeds roll---


September:

Patient Zero (9/2)
Matt Smith, Natalie Dormer

Doesn't look like there's a trailer for this one yet. It's categorized as "Horror" but since it seems to deal with a global pandemic sometime in the future, and will probably involve some approximation of science (I've given up hope of accuracy from Hollywood), I'm including it in this list. From the description it could be something similar to 28 Days, which was a pretty freaky "zombie" movie that involved a more scientific explanation for "zombies." Time will tell with Patient Zero what it will ultimately become.

Replicas (9/7)
Keanu Reeves

This movie is about a scientist bringing back his dead family. So far all I can find on it is that, and that it's one of Keanu Reeves' next projects. Also, the release date may only be for Belgium, I'm not sure...


October:

---Gambit Movie? & Underworld 5?---

November:

---Doctor Strange--- (My that's a lot of superhero movies)


December:

Rogue One A Star Wars Story (12/16)
(Technically Space-Fantasy, but I have a soft spot for Star Wars)
Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, Donnie Yen

No trailer yet for this one, but I'll do a post about it when we get one.
The story here is what happened just before Episode IV, and rumor has it we'll be seeing Darth Vader again...

Passengers (12/21)
Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

This one seems kind of somber for a Chris Pratt movie. In summary: due to a malfunction a passenger on a sleeper ship headed to colonize another world wakes up 60 years too early and must deal with it. Sounds like fun, right? Well, Ms. Lawrence and Mr. Pratt really could make this one shine... or not. We'll see, but it does seem a bit heavy for a just-before-Christmas movie.


Stuff without a release date:


The Circle (TBA)
Emma Watson, John Boyega, Tom Hanks

After the events of Episode VII, Finn discovers... Just kidding. This is a sci-fi film staring Emma Watson and John Boyega that revolves around a powerful tech company in the future, integrated internet-style technology, and a "mysterious man." Not sure what to think of this yet. I'm waiting for a trailer.

The Blob (maybe this year)
Samuel L. Jackson

The title and star mean I will see this movie even if it sucks. I've been a fan of the Blob since I saw the original and the remake as a kid/teen. I guess that means this is the 2nd remake/3rd version. Whatever, I'm up for it... Oh, and in case you're unfamiliar, it's about a carnivorous blob of quasi-intelligent "stuff" (not sure if it's ever identified as an alien intelligence or just something resembling a virus or bacteria) that crash-lands on earth and starts eating people. Simple, yet fun I say!

Story of Your Life (TBA)
Amy Adams

So aliens come to Earth and a linguist is required... Really, that's the plot—I mean, yeah, it's kind of realistic IF aliens had a reason to stop by so it could be good if they stick to the principal of realism and can make something interesting of it. I guess we'll wait and see the details as they come out.

The Space Between Us (TBA)
Britt Robertson, Carla Gugino, Gary Oldman

So, this one's about a man who was raised on Mars by scientists returning to Earth. Seems like a decent cast, but I'm holding out judgement until I see more.

And that's all for now. Till next post, be well.

Comments

Popular Posts