Sci-Fi Movies of 2017!


Greetings all!
I know I'm late with this, my apologies without excuses. Here's my list curated from around the 'net. I usually do this in two posts, but the number of films this year didn't seem to warrant it. I'm hoping that means there will be quality over quantity this year, but time will tell.

Without further preamble, here we go.


January:

1/6 Underworld: Blood Wars (Kate Beckinsale, Theo James)

Okay, this one is already out, but I'm including it because I'm late with this post, and I'm also a completest. (Also, no, I haven't seen it).



1/27 Resident Evil (Mila Jovovich, Ruby Rose)

Despite a strong aversion to zombies, I actually enjoyed the first of these films. They seemed to go a bit downhill, though. Maybe this one will bring it back.



February:

2/3 - The Space Between Us (Britt Robertson, Janet Montgomery)

Not gonna lie. This one looks awful. "He's been raised by scientists..." Yeah, so are a lot of people. Why is this special? I'd think you'd want to stress the fact that he was raised on Mars without other children, that seems much more important. Why don't you mention that first? /sigh.



March:

3/10 - Kong: Skull Island (Tom Hiddelston, Brie Larson, Samuel L Jackson)

I love me a good monster flick, probably the Godzilla influence from my childhood. Will this be one of them? Maybe.



3/24- Power Rangers (Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Banks)

I was never a fan of this series in the 90's. I think I would have been if I'd been a bit younger when it hit, though. This is an interesting take. Even with my lack of knowledge of the series I can tell they've changed quite a bit.


3/24 - Life (Ryan Reynolds, Rebecca Ferguson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hiroyuki Sanada)

I'm torn on this one. It looks interesting, I like the actors, but then and again I think the "we discover a dangerous alien life form that kills everyone" thing is played out (also, the new Aliens movie is coming this year, so it's kind of redundant). Still, I could be wrong.



3/31- Ghost in the Shell (Scarlett Johansson)


April:

4/28 - The Circle (Emma Watson, Tom Hanks)

Near future distopia is the best way to describe what this looks like to me. Also, scary, because it could really happen.



May:

5/5 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana)

Of all of the sci-fi movies in 2017, I think I'm looking forward to this one the most (before Star Wars. After 5/5, it'll be Star Wars). The first one was brilliant, and the trailer has me laughing already.


5/19 - Alien Covenant (Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston)

I admit it, I'm a little disappointed that this isn't Prometheus 2. It looks like it's going to pick up the story, maybe, but I wanted more Engineers, not just Xenomorphs.


June:

6/2- Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot, Chris Pine)

I found Batman v Superman unwatchable. It doesn't give me confidence for this film, but at least there's a different director.



6/23 - Transformers the Last Knight (Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Hopkins)

I loved the toys, the recent movies not as much. To each their own.



July:

7/7- Spiderman Homecoming (Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr.)

I'll see it. I hope I like it. Of course, with Michael Keaton playing the Vulture, I'm sure the villainy is going to be awesome.


7/14 - War for the Planet of the Apes (Woody Harrelson, Sara Canning, Andy Serkis

Another one I'm definitely looking forward to. On a side note, who could have imagined Woody the bartender at Cheers would turn out to be one of my favorite actors?



7/21 - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Cara Delevinge, Dane DeHaan, Ethan Hawke)

This one looks interesting to me. It's also a love-project from the director, so it'll either completely rock (like X-Men movies directed by Brian Singer) or...
Also, is it me, or is July pretty crowded this year?



7/28 The Dark Tower (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

There's no trailer for this one yet. I read the book a while back and thought it was interesting. I think I'm going to have to re-read it soon. From the small clips and news I've seen here and there, this one should be pretty good.

August:

September:

9/29- Flatliners (Nina Dobrev, Diego Luna)
                  (no trailer yet)

It could be interesting to see the modern take on this one.

October:

10/6 - Blade Runner 2049 (Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling)

I'm optimistic about this one. Blade Runner is one of my favorites. If they do this right, it'll be awesome. Also, there's a theory out there that Harrison Ford is killing off all of his classic characters. Will Decker survive?



November:

11/3 - Thor: Ragnarok (Chris Hemsworth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo... etc.)

Still waiting on the official trailer for this one. Looking forward to it.

December:

12/8- Star Wars Episode VIII (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Daisey Ridley... etc.)

No trailer yet, but does there need to be one for this movie? We're all going to see it, and if VII is anything to go by, it's going to be awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts